At a hydroelectric project, at coastal wind farms, atop geothermal hotspots and in talks with environmentalists, you’ll see the climate change debate come to life.
Embark on an interactive study of renewable energy sources in Chile — a country positioned as a leader in the development of alternative energy, yet one which still relies heavily on traditional resources. Study the global and local impact of Chile’s major industries, the mining of copper, iron, and nitrates and learn about new initiatives in wind, solar and hydroelectric energy. Meet all the stakeholders. Learn all the different points of view. Witness the impact of corporate government decisions on local communities firsthand. You be the judge.
“This was by far one of the greatest decisions of my life! Something I will never forget!” — Dan Freitas, Rochester, NY
Earn 3 college natural science credits. Complete over 20 hours of community service work, focusing on sustainable resource projects. Use your own research to develop new ideas and concepts to put forth in the continuing energy argument.
3 natural science college credits through Lesley University
30 hours of community service
TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
- Earn 3 college natural science credits through Lesley University
- Study renewable energy and climate change
- Visit controversial renewable energy projects
- Learn about the cultural and environmental issues
- Perform service work focusing on sustainable resource projects
- Hike and horseback ride the stunning Chilean countryside
- Journey to the salt flats of the Atacama Desert
What are my next steps?
At a Glance
Trips Available for Current Grades Click your current grade to view dates
Community Service & College Credit
- 30 Hours
- 3 Credits
Read about Broadreach in the news! Over the years, Broadreach has been featured in a variety of magazines and newspapers around the world. Check out some of our great press! >
- Experience Required
- Minimum 18 years old
- High school graduate
- High school or college biology
- Minimum GPA: 2.50
- Completed at least one semester at college or graduated high school over a year ago
- Atacama Desert
- Cajon del Maipo
- Elqui Valley