Take your sailing and leadership skills to the next level while navigating the Caribbean. Learn that you have what it takes to skipper a boat and lead a team.
This course puts you at the helm – of the boat, the journey, your crew and most of all, your overall experience. Learn basic seamanship, navigation and more as you sail 500 nautical miles past fifteen Caribbean islands. Sail through the night on 80-mile, 15-hour jaunts. Learn and practice theories of risk management, effective leadership, group dynamics, problem solving and decision-making. A large portion of the program lies in the hands of the students themselves. Each student leads a segment, plans passages, maintains a budget and guides discussion.
“The whole trip was beautifully thought out and planned and organized. She was stimulated and excited to learn.” — Jody Guralnick, Aspen, CO
Earn 2 college leadership credits while logging 500 miles of sea time. You also get the chance to gain IYT certifications such as flotilla skipper, radio operator and competent crew.
Two leadership college credits through Lesley University
15 hours of community service
TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
- Earn Two Leadership college credits through through Lesley University
- 500 nautical mile sail training program across the Caribbean
- Earn multiple IYT sailing certifications
- Discover Caribbean culture on more than 15 unique islands
- Study theories of leadership, group dynamics, motivation and more
- Learn passage planning, sail theory, navigation and meteorology
- Multiple overnight sailing opportunities
What are my next steps?
At a Glance
Trips Available for Current Grades Click your current grade to view dates
Community Service & College Credit
- 15 Hours
- 2 Credits
Our most popular service trip: Peru Spanish and Culture. Trek the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu.Explore cities, villages and ruins. Dig into Inca history and camp under starry skies. Yes, this is Spanish class. As you hone your grasp of the language, do community service work in Quechua Indian communities. Build better infrastructure, lasting friendships and confidence in your second language. >
- Experience Required
- Minimum 18 years old
- High school graduate
- Minimum GPA: 2.50
- Completed at least one semester at college or graduated high school over a year ago
- Ile des Saintes
- St. Barts
- St. Kitts
- St. Lucia
- St. Martin