For this language adventure, lesson plans spill into the streets of Sainte Anne for real-world conversation and then on a catamaran for a French-speaking sail voyage.
On this academic adventure, formal language studies are interspersed with service work and cultural exchange experiences. Take part in French West Indian culture, including traditional dance, music and cooking. Home stay with a local family in the seaside town of Saint Anne.Next, hop aboard a 50-foot catamaran and sail to Guadeloupe’s outer islands. Become a more globally aware individual as you increase your french language skills. Conversations in French with people who want to hear what you have to say raises your confidence to master the language and conquer anything you set out to do.
“I improved my French a lot while I was here and I learned a ton about about other cultural activities. This experience gave me a new perspective on life and taught me to keep an open mind.” — Sophie Rodosky, Pittsburgh, PA
- Earn 3 college French language credits through Lesley University
- Attend workshops in Creole cooking and West Indian music and dance
- Take a sea kayaking, surfing and sailing trip
- Spend a week with your homestay family
- Perform community service with local youth groups
- Take a weeklong live-aboard sailing trip to nearby island
- 1 year of French Experience
- Minimum 18 years old
- High school Graduate
- Minimum GPA: 2.50
- Completed at least one semester at college or graduated high school over a year ago