From the beaches of Costa Rica to Nicaragua and back, do hands-on work with one of the largest concentrations of sea turtles found anywhere in the world.
Before experiencing the thrill of working with turtles in the wild, experience the thrills of the Costa Rican jungle. The rapids of the Sarapiqui River don’t disappoint. Next, settle into a small field station on the Osa Peninsula. Assist biologists with in-water turtle surveys, collecting data on population structure, habitat and health. From there it’s off to El Ostinal, Nicaragua to explore conservation challenges facing sea turtles and research what you can do about them. Follow this up with hands-on work at a turtle hatchery in the Costa Rican town of San Miguel.
“We learned a lot about sea turtles, but also about the different cultures and communities we visited. I loved Costa Rica!” — Randelle Boots, Seekong, MA
Explore the volcanic mountain valleys and local communities of Costa Rica and Nicaragua. Gain immeasurable, real-world experience with active turtle research projects. Assist with community outreach projects. Ultimately, help protect these fascinating yet endangered creatures for years to come.
3 marine science college credits through Lesley University
40 hours of community service
What are my next steps?
At a Glance
Trips Available for Current Grades Click your current grade to view dates
Community Service & College Credit
- 40 Hours
- 3 Credits
- Earn 3 college marine science credits through Lesley University
- Patrol sea turtle nesting habitats
- Collect field data on endangered sea turtles
- Work alongside sea turtle field biologists
- Build and maintain sea turtle hatcheries
- Excavate sea turtle nests
- Participate in a community based sea turtle conservation project
- Explore regional biodiversity of Costa Rica and Nicaragua
- Surfing and whitewater rafting adventures
Read about Broadreach in the news! Over the years, Broadreach has been featured in a variety of magazines and newspapers around the world. Check out some of our great press! >
- Experience Required
- Minimum 18 years old
- High school graduate
- High school or college biology
- Minimum GPA: 2.50
- Completed at least one semester at college or graduated high school over a year ago
- El Ostional
- Playa Blanca
- San Jose
- San Miguel