Get in the water with bull, lemon and reef sharks and study them in their natural habitat. Venture to a Rukua Village and hear stories of a Shark God, then raft in the Navua Gorge.
Survey the natural history, biology, behavior, and ecological and social importance of these formidable creatures that now, after millions of years, are in danger of extinction. Observe and study sharks up close in a controlled underwater environment at the Shark Reef Marine Reserve (SRMR). Discover shark habitats and work toward protecting them. There’s even time for a cultural visit in a Fijian village, where stories of an ancient protective Shark God are shared.
“Pictures, videos, and words can’t even come close to what you actually see and feel like when in the water with the sharks.” — Patrick Goebel, Independence, OH
Return from this trip having collected vital data and engaged in cultural exchange. Know that you did your part to ensure the future survival of sharks and the Fijian people. Earn 3 credits in marine science, as well as the PADI Advanced Open Water certification.
Three marine science college credits through Lesley University
10 hours of community service
TRAINING & CERTIFICATION
- PADI Advanced Open Water Diver
- PADI AWARE Fish Identification Specialty
- PADI Underwater Naturalist Specialty
What are my next steps?
At a Glance
Trips Available for Current Grades Click your current grade to view dates
Community Service & College Credit
- 10 Hours
- 3 Credits
- Study shark physiology, habitats, conservation and myths
- Scuba dive with sharks while collecting data for your own research project
- Learn about the cultural and historical connection between sharks and Fijian culture
- Cultural immersion in traditional Fijian villages
- Journey down the whitewater of the Luva River in inflatable kayaks
Read about Broadreach in the news! Over the years, Broadreach has been featured in a variety of magazines and newspapers around the world. Check out some of our great press! >
- Experience Required
- PADI Open Water
- Minimum 18 years old
- High school graduate
- High school or college biology
- Minimum GPA: 2.50
- Completed at least one semester at college or graduated high school over a year ago
- Beqa Island
- Luva River
- Pacific Harbour